Chad Gadya embroidermation finished at last!

After a little over a year and a half, and many interruptions, we finally finished our embroidermated short, Chad Gadya. While we were working on it (actually I was working, Theo was procrastinating) this other embroidered short came out, but there are differences. Thanks to Theodore Gray’s stitchcoding in Mathematica, we weren’t restricted by (invariably crappy) off-the-shelf … Continue reading “Chad Gadya embroidermation finished at last!”

Chad Gadya embroidermation progress

A wee taste of the progress Theo and I are making on our “Chad Gadya” embroidermation project. Frames of the animation are stitched in groups of 6, arranged in a circle on matzo covers. We currently have 516 frames on 86 matzo covers, which I painstakingly finished by hand with multiple fabric layers and labels and everything. We … Continue reading “Chad Gadya embroidermation progress”

Chad Gadya cycling backgrounds

Which 24-frame cycle do you like more: Cycle A, “Clouds”, or… Cycle B, “Waves”? I personally prefer Cycle B, because I like backgrounds where everything is moving – I feel it gives it more depth. As a 2-D design the clouds look nice, but in an animated cycle their stillness bothers me. I did make … Continue reading “Chad Gadya cycling backgrounds”

Linoleum cut printimation

These are some lousy test prints (I have no skill as a printer plus I used cheap water-based ink and cheap thin waste paper) I made of some linoleum print plates I designed and “cut” with the laser engraver at the local Fab Lab. The plates are to be part of a larger project with many … Continue reading “Linoleum cut printimation”

Water Wheel

Back on the Quiltimation front, I was wondering if I could arrange animated frames on a quilt in a mandala/medallion pattern, rather than left-to-right cells. This would essentially be a quilted phenakistoscope, with the animation emerging as the whole thing is rotated (we’d keep the camera and lights stable, and rotate the quilt).   The … Continue reading “Water Wheel”